As an RV owner, you know how important it is to keep your home on wheels in good condition. Whether you’re a full-time RVer or you use your RV for occasional getaways, there are certain things you need to do to maintain your investment. One area that often gets overlooked is the awning. Your RV awning is an important component of your outdoor living space, and it’s essential to keep it in good working order. In this blog post, we’ll discuss awning maintenance and repair and why it’s important to keep your awning in tip-top shape.
Why Awning Maintenance is Important
Your RV awning provides shade and protection from the elements, making it an essential part of your outdoor living space. However, over time, your awning can become damaged or dirty, which can impact its function and appearance. Here are some reasons why awning maintenance is important:
- Protects Against Sun Damage: The sun’s UV rays can cause your awning to fade and become brittle over time. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help protect your awning against sun damage.
- Prevents Mold and Mildew: Awnings can become a breeding ground for mold and mildew, especially if they are not properly cleaned and maintained. Mold and mildew can cause health issues and damage your awning, so it’s important to take preventative measures.
- Extends the Life of Your Awning: Regular maintenance can help extend the life of your awning. A well-maintained awning can last for many years, while a neglected one may need to be replaced sooner.
Awning Maintenance Tips
Now that you understand why awning maintenance is important, here are some tips to help you keep your awning in good condition:
- Clean Your Awning Regularly: The easiest way to maintain your awning is to clean it regularly. Use a mild soap and water solution and a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub your awning. Rinse thoroughly and let it dry completely before retracting it.
- Check for Tears and Damage: Inspect your awning regularly for tears or damage. If you notice any tears, have them repaired as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Lubricate Moving Parts: Your awning has moving parts that need to be lubricated to ensure smooth operation. Use a silicone-based lubricant on the moving parts of your awning.
- Use Tie-Downs: Use tie-downs to secure your awning in windy conditions. This will prevent your awning from getting damaged or ripped off your RV.
Even with proper maintenance, your awning may need repairs from time to time. Here are some common awning repairs and how to fix them:
- Tears and Holes: If your awning has a tear or hole, it can usually be repaired with a patch kit. These kits contain adhesive patches that can be applied to the damaged area.
- Broken Springs or Arms: If the springs or arms on your awning are broken, they will need to be replaced. This is a job best left to a professional RV awning repair technician.
- Motor or Electrical Issues: If your awning is not functioning properly, it could be due to a motor or electrical issue. This type of repair should be done by a professional.
If you need awning maintenance or repair, RV Renovators is here to help. Our team of experienced technicians can repair or replace your awning and ensure that it’s functioning properly. We offer competitive pricing and exceptional service, so you can trust us with your RV awning needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.